With Dubai and Abu Dhabi listed among the world’s top-40 fashion capitals, a growing troop of fashion bloggers is thriving in the region. Capturing real, stylish people at their most natural form or bringing haute-couture down to real life, the amount of emerging fashionistas is endless. Barakabits has picked 5 fashion blogs that bring a unique touch to a world where everyone seems to have a say.
1. Shoes and Drama: Featuring a team of excited fashion writers led by Saudi Arabian pioneer Marriam Mossalli, this indie fashion blog attempts to bring fashion reporting back to a purist form. The unexpected? Her Drama of the Week section, where she shares the “fashion truths” about the industry, from inflation, to the death of designer L’Wren Scott, Mick Jagger’s girlfriend.
2. The Hybrids: There could be no better name for bloggers Ahmad & Ascia, a husband and wife fashion dream-team, both half-Kuwaiti. The unexpected? We have never seen hijab street-style done so chic!
3. Nadia Aboulhosn: A fashion ambassador in the plus-size world, Nadia not only captivates her followers with her stylish taste, but inspires them with her positive outlook toward life. “One word to describe my style? Fearless”, she says. The unexpected: Why hide such gorgeous curves?
4. Mon journal pas très intime: Translated as “my not so intimate journal”, this Tunisian blog by Narjess Mizouni shares a fashion diary that not only includes #OOTD (Outfit of the day) but also beauty tips. The unexpected: the blog brings what we all wished we found to achieve affordable style: Lots of DIY!
5. You are the style: You don’t need to read between the lines to understand the beautiful statement behind the blog, which offers a glimpse of what Moroccans wear through the eyes of a high-end fashion photographer. The unexpected? The blog is run by Joseph Ouechen, a photographer, blogger and big dreamer with a heart-warming story to tell. Did you ever imagine a man rocking the street fashion world? Watch him tell his inspiring story (in French) on TedX Casablanca.