Move over quinoa! Western chefs are discovering what Middle Easterners have known for centuries: Freekeh is delicious and good for you. This ancient green wheat is typically picked before it is ripened, toasted, and cracked. Popular in dishes around the Middle East, this staple whole grain touts many benefits for the body and taste buds.
Top ten reasons to eat Freekeh:
1. High in protein
2. High in fiber
3. Full of selenium, potassium, and magnesium
4. Excellent for vegetarians and vegans
5. Take only 15 to 20 minutes to cook
6. Is low in fat and nearly a fat-free food (less than a gram of fat per serving)
7. 1/4 cup of raw freekeh is only 130 calories
8. Contains plenty of zinc
9. It’s high in iron
10. Rich smoky aroma and delicious taste
For tasty freekeh recipes, visit Cook & Eat Lebanese.