Every so often if you live in Amman, the need to complete paper work or run an errand associated with the governmental sector arises. Maintaining a positive attitude in the midst of chaos can be challenging and governmental paperwork can be quite daunting and is a process no one really looks forward to. Whether it’s the renewal of a passport, the authentication of a university degree, or registering a company, you know the drill:
Off you go to the man sitting on a little desk or mini-hut like structure outside of the governmental building, or what some term “the paid help” so he can list the items you need to complete your process. Not a big deal, or so it seems at first, until you realize that you’re in a middle of a triathlon in a race to collect a plethora of multicolored stamps, signatures and blessings to complete your application.
You must first realize that you have no control over when and where these annoying situations arise, so making a fuss over them is rather pointless.
Don’t resist situations, because as they say, resistance is futile. Non-resistance is an inner state of being and it doesn’t mean you go along with everything that comes your way, but rather, that whether you choose to walk away from certain situations (if you have the choice to) or not, you do so without inner resistance.
Here are some pointers to keep in mind that may help:
- The key to happiness is letting each situation be what it is instead of what you think it should be. Give up the control. You are not the executive director of the universe.
- Get out of your head: Don’t take up a role in the movie production going on inside your head, i.e. your thoughts.
- Give everyone the benefit of the doubt: For all you know the person helping you out could be having a bad day.
- Don’t wait, that takes time, be present. A person was once told, “sorry to keep you waiting,” and he replied, “It’s okay, I’m not waiting, I’m in joy in myself (enjoying myself).
- Take it as an exercise in patience: When a complete surrender to what you experience in life becomes your state of being, only then have you become a thoroughly patient, balanced being.
For more helpful tips about how to make a sometimes frustrating experience positive, visit inspirational speaker Osama AlShurafa‘s official website.