“You can be anything or anyone you want”
This is a common saying among many countries. If you ever dreamed of becoming a Pilot, Doctor, Chef or Dancer, go ahead and study the required field to achieve your dream. But what if you want to become an Arab? What is the required field of study? Where is the Arab guideline?
This is your lucky day! There is no need for you to search anymore. Here we have 10 steps to help you look, behave and think like a typical Arab, sort of like Aladdin from the movie The Dictator.
1. Don’t shave your beard. You aren’t a man without it.
2. Men don’t wear jeans, they wear the man dress (Dishdasha).
3. Don’t speak, but rather shout. This is how some Arabs communicate.
5. If you are a girl, you have to wear a lot of make up. In other words, go hard or go home.
6. Do not hit your kids in public but rather give them “The Look” and wait till you get home.
7. A successful marriage is one that results in a dozen of kids. The more kids you have the more mini assistants you get. Think about it.
8. Don’t use a car, use a camel for transportation. This is how we do it.
9. Do you remember that flying carpet from Aladdin? Well those are real. Arabs have flying carpets.
10. If you ever get sick there is no need for a Doctor. Simply have Marameeya Tea (sage) or use Olive Oil to ease the pain, just like Grandma said.
These are some satirical statements of stereotypes believed by many out there and even played in songs like The Arab People Song, as a form of disclaimer. Despite all this, we should remember that Arabs are just like anyone else. They have the same needs and desires, some are rich and some poor, some have beards some don’t, some are good and some bad, but at the end of the day they shouldn’t be generalized based on one person’s mistakes or accomplishments.
Don’t forget to leave a smile:)